
I had to drive in again today, and I will tomorrow and the next day. So I might get to take the train Friday, but that means no Subway Sketches until then! But, wonder of wonders, I saw my first blooming daffodils in Philadelphia on Sunday! I haven't seen any yet in my neighborhood in the suburbs, but that's probably only because I haven't walked to the train since last week!
I was itching to get out today at lunchtime to go looking for flowers, and I did so, and found plenty of daffodils in one of the main public squares. So I sat down on the grass and drew some. I didn't have any colors with me, so I just did it in pencil. Since they looked too delicate, and there wasn't enough contrast with the leaves, I decided I should fill the ground in to have the blooms stand out. I think it worked pretty well, but this scan is pretty lousy as it doesn't show the detail in the flowers at all (too much contrast for the scanner, I guess).
These were mainly bowed down, but I thought they made an interesting grouping.
I hope to do more later in the week.





4 comments:
They almost look like they're doing a curtsey for you Kathleen! I love them, color or no color. Crocuses finally popping through here as my flower beds come back to life - I may have a go outside with my new *moleskine wannabe* soon =)
My, you must be further north than I am. I don't know where you live, Laura, where is it that you only now have crocuses?
I didn't go outside to draw the crocuses, I'm afraid, it was still too cold then! Hope you're warming up, too. We actually hit 81 today, although it's only supposed to be 60 tomorrow.
northern michigan, sigh.... supposed to hit 50 tomorrow though so woohoo, heatwave - lol!
OK, I see now, that's pretty far north! Is that the Upper Peninsula? I have heard it's a great place, if you don't mind being too far away from urban areas. Lots of small towns and such. A great place for a summer vacation, I think I have heard it said . . . Yes 50 is good. We're going back down in the 30s day after tomorrow (at night), but today really was lovely--shirtsleeve weather (although I never did take my sweater off!--I kind of liked being warm!).
Post a Comment